Thursday, February 10, 2011

Movie Review: Little Fockers

You met the parents.  You in turn then met the Fockers.  Now be introduced to the little Fockers.  Yes, there are kids this time around.  I had the opportunity to recently watch this film and rather enjoyed it.  What a surprise!  Robert Deniro returns as Jack Byrnes along with Ben Stiller as "Greg" Gaylord Focker.  Gaylord, who the hell would name their kid that?!  While working the other day I met a person with the last name Gaylord.  She smiled funny at me when I asked her to repeat her last name.  It's my job.  I gotta do it.  I didn't laugh but inside was cracking up, Gaylord.  This movie is very much the "name" movie especially with the last name Focker.  

I believe the rest of the cast has mostly returned except for Nicole Dehuff, Pam's sister Deborah, tragically passed away since the last film.  Owen Wilson makes a triumphant return as the ex boyfriend Kevin.  He really made the movie for me.  He's back to his old antics and relives the character from the first film in every way plus more.  Blythe Danner and Terri Polo also return along with Dustin Hoffman and Barbara Striesand as mom and dad Focker.  I didn't care much for the Focker parents characters very much in the second film and didn't feel much for them either in this film. Thankfully they only cameo a few scenes through out the film.  Jessica Alba is added to cast as a sexy pharmacutical rep who wants Stiller to speak about a new sexual enhancement drug.  She is as much eye candy in this film for her acting abilities do not reach new highs in this one.


Their really isn't all too much to say about the story of this film.  It is a lot of comedy and re-hashing of previous jokes that happened in the earlier films.  Does it work?  Yes it does.  The main arch of the film is that Jack is not in good health condition and comes to the conclusion he needs to pass his role of the head patriarch of the family to Greg.  Greg must become the "godfocker". Of course this doesn't transition very smoothly and that is where much of the comedic relief plays into hand.  I loved the first film.  I didn't really care for the second and this one is not as good as the first but better than Meet The Fockers.  I think having Owen Wilson return in a big role really lifted the film and gave it more comedic relief.  Stiller and Wilson have that on screen chemistry that is tough to recreate with many actors.  A great example of this is the "wall off" from Zoolander.  If you have not seen this film then watch it now!  Check out the clip from Zoolander below.



This is a funny movie!  It doesn't veer off the path of the other films and in the end sets itself up for yet another sequel.  How about this time you leave the Focker parents out of it?  This film is set for dvd/blu-ray release in April and is very much worth a rental!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Good review! I don't think I've ever watched Zoolander, however, although I've heard its really funny.

Seth_Van said...

What?! Are you serious? Well I can see what movie we are going to watch at the next family film night!

Post a Comment