Monday, May 2, 2011

Fast 5 Mechamania Review!

The summer big hit movies have official begun with this past weekends release of Fast 5 AKA Fast and the Furious Part 5.  From here on out we have such films as Thor and Green Lantern to Transformers 3 yet to come.  Does Fast 5 hold it's own or is time for the franchise to just die?  Let me put it to you this way.  Fast 5 made an estimated 83 million dollars this weekend.  That is the biggest opening for the month of April and the biggest opening from Universal Studios in history! Jurassic Park held the previous title for Universal.  Ok, so a crap load of people saw this film but was it any good?

YES!  My wife and I went to the local theater and watched it this past Friday night.  I started that morning working at 4:00am.  I had been up for 15 hours with 5 hours of sleep the night before when we began to watch this film.  I have a history of falling asleep during films especially when they get slow.  Fast 5 was the complete opposite and I was wide awake stuffing popcorn into my fat face the whole time!  What a ride!  I asked my wife how many films we actually paid to watch the 5th sequel in the series?  Perhaps only Star Wars or Star Trek.  In a nutshell, Fast 5 is a kick ass film busting at the seams with pure adrenaline and with the addition of Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson it explodes with pure machismo and non stop action!


Returning from all of the previous films are Vin Diesel, Paul Walker, Jordanna Brewster, Tyrese Gibson, Ludacris, Matt Schulze, Sung Kang and Gal Gadot.  I've always wondered what the deal was with Lucas Black from Tokyo Drift.  He would be just as good as any of the other actors to make a return to the franchise.  Perhaps he will show up in the next film?  The film is directed by Justin Lin who has helmed the previous two Fast films.  Introducing to this film series is Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson. Current WWE Superstar and all around bad ass mother trucker!  I think many people have been waiting for this guy to become a bonafied bad ass and he finally did in this film.  No tooth ferry!  I'm tired of these Disney kiddy flicks.  Let's get to the killin and kickin ass! Finally The Rock has become an action star!  He made the movie for me and even if I wasn't a fan of his from WWE he still would have made the movie!


In many ways this film reminded me of Oceans 11.  You've got all the main guys from the previous films set to take on one last job.  One big heist.  Steal over 100 million bucks from a local drug lord in Rio De Janeiro.  Not too complicated of a story but I have come to accept that from this series as is.  I'm not looking for some in depth mind bender.  I am looking for fast cars, explosions and action to the brim.  This film delivers.  It starts up right where the last film left with Dominic (Vin Diesel) going to prison and his buddies and their fast cars helping to bust him out.  I like how it literally starts where the last film ended and doesn't leave you guessing about what happened since the last film.  Instant continuation is always appreciated in my book.  Granted that doesn't always work for every movie but I enjoyed it with this one.  Through out all of this you have the big surprise of the film, Dwayne Johnson.  He plays a enforcement agent on the hunt for our good guys and is relentless in his pursuit.  The fight scene alone between The Rock and Diesel is worth the price of admission.  


I can't stress enough that this is one of those films that you don't really think about it but just watch and enjoy the scenery.  On the downside their are little loopholes and question marks that kinda leave you wondering "huh" but who cares really?  It doesn't distract from the film as a whole.  I'm not expecting this film to win at The Oscars or something.  So the big question to ask is does our gang of racers get their money or will The Rock bust them before it can all go down?  Go to the theater and watch this!  You will not be disappointed!  Stay through the credits for another big reveal into the next installment.  Yes, like you didn't know Sexy 6 is on the way.  Sexy 6?  hahaha

2 comments:

Jessica said...

dad that was a cool review i cant wait to watch it, oh and your new logo is sweet.

Unknown said...

Loved the review. I especially enjoyed the comment, "I was wide awake stuffing popcorn into my fat face the whole time!". I love the commentary! Your site looks good on my computer by the way. Keep up the hard work you put into this blog!

Post a Comment