Tuesday, October 4, 2016

Star Trek Beyond Movie Review

Here we go with yet another movie review!  I was so excited to see Star Trek Beyond.  I had every intention of seeing this in the theater when it originally came out but for whatever reason I missed it!  Shame on me?  Now that i've seen it I feel pretty good that I didn't waste a ton of money seeing this at the box office.  By the way Star Trek Beyond is available for streaming as of today. This review just happens to be coincidence and not perfect timing of the availability.  In fact, I do recommend streaming it if your a sci-fi fan or have enjoyed the Star Trek catalog of films.  It's worth at least a one time viewing.  Perhaps if your a HUGE fan of these films you may very well enjoy it?  Let's jump into this review and tell you what I did and didn't like about it.

This next installment follows the crew of the Star Trek Enterprise still on a 5 year deep space mission to boldly go where no man has gone before.  They are now entering depths of space that have been hugely uncharted.  The "wild west" so to speak of outer space.  On the edge of the unknown is a space port/colony harboring millions of people whom intercept a distress call from the outer reaches.  The Enterprise crew take the challenge of following up on the distress to only find trouble ahead.  After being ambushed the crew must not only figure out who has done this and why but how to get off a barren unknown planet.  I won't go into too many more spoilers.  If you watch the trailer you will get a fair idea of what is happening in the film.  The film is fairly predictable with not many surprises.

In  this film we have the original cast returning.  I have always thought that every actor chosen in these films have been great.  Chris Pine, Zach Quinto, Karl Urban, Simon Pegg, John Cho, Anton Yelchin and Zoe Saldana are awesome!  We also get some nice additions with Idris Elba as the big baddie Krall and a new ally in Sofia Boutella as Jaylah.  My biggest complaint with the acting here is probably in Krall.  It's not that Idris Elba did a bad job but the character itself was kind of a generic bad guy and nothing really happened in the film that really made you hate or dislike him as a fan.  It was like the crew were thrown into a mediocre situation and this was more of a small meal story compare to buffet of awesomeness.

After watching this film I was kinda just blah.  My wife was pissed that I spent a good portion of my time on my phone and not really into the flick.  I've seen this all before with Star Trek.  They didn't bring anything new to the table for this film.  It frankly bored me.  It was another addition to the library and a small one at that.  Was it the writing?  Yeah!  I love Simon Pegg and I know he had written a good portion of this film but I think he could have done better.  I guess that's the problem now a days and even a bigger problem in a franchise like this with numerous stories.  It's hard to come up with something super new and organic that doesn't feel like it's been thrown in a blender and dumped back into the lap of the movie goer.  Justin Lin directed this film.  He has directed my favorite Fast and Furious film among others and I just don't see him in this film.  It doesn't come across as his best work.  Rent it, stream it.  It's worth a sit down and maybe I will try and watch it again.  I doubt it.  I'm not totally bashing this film but i'm not giving it a lot of praise.

0 comments:

Post a Comment