Wednesday, September 28, 2016

Ghostbusters 2016 Movie Review

There are a 2 movie properties in my life that are as about as close to me as a personal relationship with Jesus.  Those franchises are Back to the Future and Ghostbusters.  I've loved both of these films since I was a young child. Ghostbusters in particular really resonated with me as a child.  Growing up my parents bought most of the toys and we watched many of the Saturday morning cartoons. Ghostbusters has been inter-weaved into the fabric of the person that I am today.  With that being said as a 30 something adult one of the biggest dreams myself and other fanboys have had was for a 3rd Ghostbusters film to happen.  Unfortunately for the fans we will never get that. With the death of Harold Ramis and Bill Murray's reluctance to return to the franchise we would just never see this fantasy come true.

Let's fast forward twenty plus years later.  Most of the fans came to the conclusion that the only sequel we would see after Ghostbusters 2 would be Ghostbusters The Video Game.  It was pretty cool because most of the actors came back to voice their characters and the overall story was pretty good.  Sony Pictures finally conjured up the balls.....and when I say "balls" I don't mean it literally because this movie doesn't have any because it stars mostly women.  Women?  Women? Wait, but I thought the Ghostbusters were dudes?  It's a different time.  This year we finally saw what would be a Ghostbusters film starring mostly all women.

Forget what you know about Ghostbusters.  Go into this movie with a certain familiarity of a franchise but with a different face.  Know up front that your in good hands.  Know that your not going to be disappointed.  We've seen the previews.  We've heard, read and experienced the crude remarks and uproar over women starring in this film.  I will tell you Kristen Wiig, Kate McKinnon, Melissa McCarthy, and Leslie Jones lead this film and do it well!  I can't forget Chris Hemsworth as the goofy, fun loving male receptionist, Kevin.  Paul Feig as the director handled a property that many thought that perhaps couldn't be done.  For this day and age the group that was assembled to make this movie went above and beyond any expectation I ever had.  Being such a huge Ghostbusters fan I was never disappointed.  Out of all the actresses in this film, Kate McKinnon is the knockout, standout female in this film.  All these women are funny but she really stood out from the rest.

Let's talk about the story.  The story is very familiar to the original 1984 film.  Different but similar. I won't go into spoilers or any specific details but it does overall semi follow the first in many ways but updated for our world today.  Our antagonist Rowan (pictured above) played by Neil Casey was good enough.  He was no Gozer or even Vigo from the second film.  He is fairly forgettable. The special effects of the ghosts are awesome.  I totally loved them.  There are many different cameos by most of the original cast with an extended scene with Bill Murray.  Surprising to see him but happy at the same time.  In the end this movie is fun.  This movie makes the grade for a one off Ghostbusters film.  Would I rather see men playing the title parts?  Yes, I would but that's just my opinion.  My kids loved this movie.  We had a great time at the theater and enjoyed the Blu-Ray release also.  This movie is worth watching multiple times!

0 comments:

Post a Comment