Sunday, November 13, 2011

Immortals Review!

I had the opportunity this last Friday evening to watch Immortals and if I had to describe it in one word that would be AWESOME!  You don't have to read through my review to know up front that I highly recommend this film to people that like the genre and your random movie goer in general. Go see this film and see it in 3D!



With that said, let's get to the technical side of stuff.  This film was directed by Tarsem Singh.  He also directed another famous film called The Cell.  I recommend that film also and after finding out he made that film it made Immortals make even more sense in of the sheer beauty in both films.  I will get into that more later.  It's stars a relative unknown in Henry Cavill as our lead Theseus.  You have probably heard of him mostly as being cast as the new Superman. After seeing this film I am convinced he is going to be a great Superman.  It also stars the great Mickey Rourke as our bad guy King Hyperion.  Stephen Dorff, John Hurt and Luke Evans co-star.



I am fairly un-educated in Greek Mythology so bare with me.  My wife on the other hand knows a lot about it and loved this film.  It follows a peasant Theseus in his rise of a nobody to a somebody to battle the great and evil King Hyperion.  We have seen this story before so it's not something completely new and original but keeps it fast paced enough we are hardly ever bored.  King Hyperion is a merciless madman that is in search for a magical bow that can shoot arrows into a cryptic cell and unleash the titans.  The titans are evil beings that lost a battle against Zues and the gods and were banished into Mt. Tartarus for eternity.  With the bow King Hyperion can unleash the titans and rule the planet.  It is up to Theseus to save the world!



I loved this film!  It looked amazing.  At first glance it looked to me like a knock off of 300 but as I read more about it and watched more trailers I quickly realized that it was nothing like that movie.  I think it is was stupid to even say "From the producer of 300" on the trailers and poster.  This film stands quite well on it's own.  The computer effects were amazing.  It is a beautiful and real looking film.  The art work really blew me away.



The acting was great.  Rourke scares the crap out of you with his sadistic and murderer attitude.  He looked to me like he could of walked out of a Madmax film especially with those creepy masks!  I was especially intrigued with Luke Evans as the bad ass Zues who has been secretly mentoring Theseus for many years to be a great fighter and warrior.  One of the best scenes of the film is when Zues and a group of Gods arrive to the fight the titans.  Amazing!  I really can't say more even though I want to because it will spoil it.

Watch the trailer.  The trailer alone should sell you on this film.  You won't be disappointed!




0 comments:

Post a Comment