Monday, January 24, 2011

Movie Review: Unstoppable

Here comes my review of the new film Unstoppable!  As a child I was often fond of trains and my dad loved the old steam engine locomotives from back in the day.  I remember taking a trip to Seattle on an Amtrak train once and it was really cool.  I think it was slower than actually taking a car but fun and different none the less.  Living in Oregon, I don't think we ride trains nearly as much as folks that live back east that travel from city to city.  They are still cool though and watching movies about high speed out of control trains is even better!  All in all, I could not have enjoyed this film any more than what I already have!



The film stars Denzel Washington and Captian Kirk errrrr I mean Chris Pine.  When the film begins it tells you that it was inspired by true events.  Now what exactly does this mean?  I have not done any research of my own to see if their were any events that this could have been based off of but who knows?  Check it out and if you find anything, let me know.  The story in a nutshell is this: dummy leaves a train unmanned and in full throttle which in turn sets the train on a course of events speeding towards a heavily populated city carrying toxic and highly hazardous chemicals.  Not too complicated but not entirely stupid or unbelievable.

Ta da da daaaaa!  To the rescue is Eli and Captain James T. Kirk.  If you haven't seen Denzel in The Book of Eli, you should.  Not a half bad movie!  Ok, so back to the review.  We have the unmanned train pushing speeds of up to 70 MPH.  The train company tries to stop the train in various ways but ultimately is unsuccessful.  This leaves the story up to our 2 main heroes whom attempt to slow the train down by hooking their engine to the back car and slowing it down that way.  Does it work?  Well, watch the movie and find out!  You see, not really a major complicated story but it still keeps you on your feet through the whole film.


The film is directed by Tony Scott whom directed other films such as Top Gun, Taking of Pelham 123 and Man on Fire.  Tony and Denzel often collaborate together.  Denzel is Denzel.  What can I say?  He is a great actor and does a fine job in this one.  Chris Pine also is great.  I don't think the characters are much that you really have to dig deep down and pull your inner train engineer out if you know what I mean.  No one is getting an Academy Award from this movie.  Rosario Dawnson  and Kevin Dunn also star respectively.  The film is shot fast.  What I mean by that is that it pans in and out and their are many scenes with the train moving fast or some kind of action in it.  Their is also a lot of shots from the sky which makes it really cool.  Again, it makes the movie play out nicely and leaves you guessing and wanting more.  

All in all, I totally recommend this movie!  I don't think it did all too well at the box office but nowadays that doesn't mean anything.  100% totally a rent and pretty much a buy in my opinion.  I also think it has a high re-watch value to it so it's not going to be one of those films that just gather dust on your shelf either.  4 out of 4 pizzas!





0 comments:

Post a Comment