Monday, May 16, 2011

Vintage Toy Purchase: Ghostbusters Firehouse!

This past weekend was my 5th year anniversary with my wonderful wife.  We decided to venture to the Oregon coast and spend the day.  If you know the Oregon coast then you know that it usually rains and is kinda dreary and cold most of the time.  This day was no exception!  We had no problem enjoying the great clam chowder and cheese bread from famous Moes or the great salt water taffee. Another great thing about the coast is the many antique stores that they have there.  My wife and I visited a quaint store called The Rocking Horse Mall in Lincoln City via word of mouth that they had some old Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles there.  

This store is 2 stories of stuff.  When I say stuff I mean they had everything from old vintage doll houses to blown glass to records and sea shells.  The first floor was mostly a bust for me and decided I would head up to the second floor.  At first sight I saw a vintage Masters of the Universe Castle Greyskull.  It was very cool but nothing out of the ordinary.  I had seen these before in many a toy store or antique shop.  I began to devour the second floor but still nothing.  I did come across a couple of old ninja turtles but nothing that I didn't already have or that wasn't in good shape.  I began to head back to the stairs when I saw a familiar site.  It was an old action figure of Egon from The Real Ghostbusters tv show.  Now I had watched this show as a kid hundreds of times and knew whom he was instantly.  As I gaze at him I start to widen my view as to what he was actually sitting in.  Holy shnikes!



I was looking at The Real Ghostbusters Firehouse!  In a nutshell, this is a doll house that holds the Ghostbuster action figures and Ecto-1 vehicle.  I really couldn't believe it.  Like most toys from the 1980's these are becoming rare and harder to find except for on websites like Ebay for hundreds of dollars.  So here came the big question.....how much?  The tag said $20.00.  My jaw dropped and I walked out the door the owner of a vintage The Real Ghostbusters Firehouse.  I was a kid leaving the candy store.  I am posting some pictures of what it looks like.  These are not pictures of my item but very similar.  The one I bought is not 100% complete but very close and is an amazing toy to own.  Below the photos you will find a couple of videos I embedded that talk more about the toy.  Thanks for reading!




0 comments:

Post a Comment