Monday, March 21, 2011

The Last Starfighter Lunch Box 1984

Hey everyone!  Just made it to my local post office this afternoon and I had a package waiting for me. Low and behold it was my newest addition to my ever expanding vintage lunch box collection.  This time around it is a 1984 red plastic "The Last Starfighter" box.  The Last Starfighter was a sci-fi box office smash and continues to be a timeless classic. Did you say a plastic box?  Yes, yes I did.  This is actually my first plastic lunch box.  I have always kind of shied away from plastic because of how easy they can be broken.  I am also not really a fan because the plastic boxes are slapped with a sticker on the face and not lithographed into the tin like the old school ones. Although, I do have to say that for being made in 1984 I am pretty impressed.  I guess it all depends on the person and how well they take care of it.  The lunch box I got today is in good shape.  The sticker is starting to peel slightly on a couple of the edges but overall is probably 99.9% intact.  I expect this from a product that was produced 27 years ago.  Unlike the older tin boxes there is only an image on one side of the box.  Nothing on any of the sides or the back side. The plastic box itself is also in good shape  with no cracks or dings on it. The thermos is in fair condition.  It shows signs of use but not a big deal.  You can recognize the pictures on the side of the thermos with no problem.  I am altogether really happy about purchasing this box and adding it to my collection.  Perhaps in the future I will purchase a few other plastic boxes.  I noticed some of my favorite films such as Back to the Future and Ghostbusters were only made on plastic boxes so I may have to pick up those up sooner rather than later.  You can check out some pictures of my Last Starfighter lunch box below.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Cool lunch pail.It's nice to have the thermos that came with it and not have to hunt it down online somewhere... ( :

Seth_Van said...

Yeah I agree. Anymore it is so hard to find the thermos or it is a fortune because people know you have to have the thermos to complete the set. It was a great find and I love it!

Post a Comment