Thursday, April 14, 2011

WWE News: Edge Retires - A Fan's Reaction

Earlier I reported to you that the current WWE Heavy Weight Champion Edge was forced to retire due to health conditions and being unable to be cleared for physical work that the WWE entails.  The thing about WWE and the wrestling industry as a whole is that their are many crazy things that go on inside and outside of the business.  Far too often we hear about the superstars that go crazy and kill themselves or die in some other macabre way.  It is then when the worlds eyes are on the sport and everyone puts their hand over their mouth and cries why.  This situation is fortunately not like that but unfortunately untimely.  I am not going to sit here and explain why WWE is real or fake.  If your still reading this article then you probably have your own preconceived ideas anyways.


The past 10 years that I have really shown a deep interest into WWE and wrestling as a whole I have came to know the WWE Superstar known as Edge AKA Adam Copeland.  He has mostly filled the shoes of being the bad guy.  His signature move "the spear" could knock out any adversary and tend to keep them down and out for the count.  Upon watching the news of Edge retiring on this past week's episode of RAW I began to think about when I first really took notice of him and his demise of a man we all know and love, John Cena.  I was able to find video from the pay-per-view event and it was actually Edge's first championship in the WWE.  The video does not show it but the original match was a Elimination Chamber match.  John Cena had defended his title and the match was over.  Earlier in the previous year at Wrestlemania, Edge won the "Money in the Bank" ladder match and was guaranteed a shot at the title whenever he wanted.  This was his chance.....



Edge later on became a 11 time world champion throughout his career in WWE not to mention the countless other titles such as the WWE Championship and numerous WWE Tag Team Championships. My wife and I would always get a chuckle out of Edge. There was always a point in the match before he did his signature move, the spear, that he would stand back in the corner of the ring and run his hands through his hair beginning to pull it out. I don't know why but he always reminded me of my brother in law Cody. We tended to call Edge Cody rather than any other name.  We never told Cody.  Perhaps he knows now.  We love ya Cody!

What is next for Edge? I am sure he will take whatever time he needs off and ponder his future. I see him returning in some form to the WWE. In this business it is rare that one truly retires and that is it.  Fans are already chanting "hall of fame" so I wouldn't be surprised to see him there next year.  I don't think we have seen the end of Edge. It was an honor to watch him on tv every week and the few times that I was able to see him wrestle in person. When thinking of Edge I think of one match and that is from 2006. It is a TLC (tables ladders and chairs) match. I found a highlight reel from that match and hope you enjoy it. Thanks and good luck in all you do Edge.

-From a fan.

0 comments:

Post a Comment