Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pop culture killed the clown.

IT
What happened to the clown? I'm not going to pretend that I know the history of clowns. A quick online check tells me that there were clowns all the way back in the days of the great and many Pharaoh's time in Egypt. Clowns are nothing new. My limited knowledge of clowns roughly is connected to what I have seen in television and film. As a child growing up, I was never around any clowns. Never had clowns at any of my birthday parties. About once a year a circus would visit my hometown and the one or two times I went there I never recall even seeing one walking about. I'm sure there probably were somewhere. My overall point being, in film and tv, I think that clowns have gotten a bad rap. One clown for certain that comes to mind is the clown from Stephen King's "It". Today, Netflix arrived in the mail and it was a copy of the film, "It", derived from the book. It is actually a "tv movie" and is over 3 hours long! I have not watched this film in years. I just remember how scary that damn clown was killing kids and coming back a second time when they are adults. I do recall that John Ritter was in it also and one of the sons from the old 70's tv show "The Waltons". I am looking forward to watching it with my 2 teenage daughters who seem to think that nothing can scare them. Another film that I HIGHLY recommend is "Zombieland". Yes, the title says it all. If you are a fan of Woody Harrelson then you will love this film. White men can jump! One of the lead characters has a fear of clowns. The clip below explains it a little better....

0 comments:

Post a Comment